The City Hall (No. 1) is the hub of Rynok Square, and the first reference to it dates back to 1381. The present City Hall was built in 1827-1835 to the design of Viennese architects J.Markl and F.Trescher. 350 steps lead to the tower which is 65 meters high, and by climbing the stairs one can observe the clock mechanism that has been in constant operation since 1851. Proud and majestic stone lions have stood on guard at the entrance to the City Hall since 1591 although in 1948 the old ones where replaced by those carved by the Lviv sculptor Ye.Dzyndra.